Another editor video, this time showing how I created the Champs-Élysées route in RailWorks. This route is created within RailWorks using the in-game toolset. I've also created my own bespoke assets for the route and imported them via the supplied tools.
The steps in the video are :
- Go into Editor mode and create a circuit loop of cobbled road. This is a scenery loft and NOT a track loft. This is only used for the visuals, and the vehicles will not drive along this loft. This scenery loft has crash barriers populated along it.
- Place the Arc de Triomphe in the middle of a roundabout.
- Lay a few sections of scenery loft outwards from the roundabout, this time without any barriers populated along the length.
- Place a line of trees, copy them and place on the other side of the road.
- Lay a complete loop of invisible track. This is the track that the vehicles will actually drive along. Having this track seperate from the cobbled road allowes you to create a path where the vehicles do not always drive down the centre of the road. The invisible track is visible in the video to help with placement, but once you are happy with the layout, it can simply be made invisible through a texture swap.
- Position a collection of vehicles on the invisible track. I wanted gaps in between the cyclists, so I created an invisible vehicle. This invisible vehicle allows the entire group of vehicles to remain coupled together, but allowed for a visual gap between some of them.
- Populate the route with real 3D buildings and place some fake 2D buildings in the distance.
- Place the Eiffel Tower.
- Position lots of clouds in the sky.
- Go into Drive mode and click on the group of vehicles. Start driving the vehicles.
- Press '1' to see the game from the 1st-person view.
- Et Voilà!